Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Spicy Black Bean Coconut Soup with Quinoa and Homemade Dairy-Free Baileys

Anger management is not my strong suit.


Controlling emotions well in general is just...not a skill of mine. So when something goes wrong in the kitchen, I go a little crazy--90% of the time with good reason, though. One of these times was Saturday night, when my dad and I were coming back from Lowe's (lol) and had the urge to eat something that was not leftovers for dinner. I decided on spicy black bean and rice burritos. He suggested we replace the rice with quinoa. And since I love the fluffy texture of quinoa, I went with it.


We stopped at the supermarket and returned after picking up a slew of spicy, canned ingredients. Also, since it was also St. Patrick's Day, I figured I should treat myself to some Baileys. I love Baileys. Loving Baileys, however, has proven to be difficult as of late, seeing as I am lactose intolerant (woo!). So, I thought of this awesome dairy-free Baileys recipe I found on Angela's blog, Oh She Glows, and got to work. I mixed the coconut milk and Sucanat together and started the quinoa.


I put my dad on the burrito-filling duty while I cooked the quinoa and the Baileys. I wanted to mix in the quinoa with the beans before it had fully cooked, so while I was cleaning up, I told my dad to scoop the quinoa into the bean pot. My back was turned for probably two seconds and when I turned around, the bean pot (filled with onions and all sorts of chiles and spices and sauces) looked like a milky soup. Yes, my dad had poured the Baileys mix into the beans.


Naturally, I started flipping out, especially since we were out of most ingredients we needed for the burrito filling. But Papa, trained to always act on his feet (or maybe it's just his ADHD), told me to calm down and that it actually smelled good. Which it did. And whaddya know! It tasted delicious. Like a Thai black bean quinoa soup. I guess this was one of the times where a mistake turned out to be a good thing.


"See?? This is how new recipes are made! Now apologize to your dad." -Andrew Kurban


Spicy Black Bean Coconut Soup with Quinoa
(serves 4-5)


Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 15oz. Almond Breeze coconut milk
  • 3 T Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • chiles in adobo sauce (we used a small can, it was pretty spicy)
  • salsa verde (to taste)
  • diced green chiles (again, to taste)
  • spices (we didn't use any this time around, but I'd recommend cumin and curry powder)
Instructions
  1. Follow instructions to cook quinoa.
  2. Shake the coconut milk and add to a medium pot. Stir in the Sucanat and bring to a low boil. Let simmer for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. Fry the onion in a bit of olive oil--once cooked a bit, add the chiles+adobo sauce, salsa verde, and green chiles. Cook for a few minutes.
  4. Add beans to onion mix and stir-fry.
  5. Pour the coconut milk mixture into the bean pot and let cook on low for 4-5 minutes. It should now look like a soup (....).
  6. Two minutes before quinoa is done cooking, scoop it into the soup pot and stir. Cook for 2 minutes and add spices to taste.
  7. Feel free to blend half of it with an immersion blender. I preferred it this way, but my dad liked it with all the different textures.
Anyway, once the soup was deemed quite edible, I got back to the more important project at hand. I redid the first two steps for the dairy-free Baileys drink (thank God we had more coconut milk) and made sure my dad didn't pour it into some other spicy mixture. A quick 10 minutes later, the drink was done and was taste-tested by 5 people. It gained approval from all, especially my mom, who said she'd put it in her coffee the next morning.


The original recipe for the delicious drink can be found here. I made a few adjustments/didn't have the right ingredients/didn't read the recipe correctly/I hate coffee.


"If everybody agreed with me, they'd all be right." -Lucy Van Pelt


Homemade Dairy-Free Baileys
adapted from Oh She Glows
(makes approx. 4 cups)


Ingredients
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1 can's worth Almond Breeze coconut milk
  • 3/4 cup Sucanat
  • chocolate syrup, to taste (I used about 3/8 c)
  • cocoa powder, to taste, one tablespoon at a time
  • 3/4 - 1 cup Irish whiskey (my dad insists it can be any kind of whiskey...)
Instructions
  1. In a medium pot, add the coconut milk (make sure to shake the cans first) and stir in the Sucanat. Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently. Simmer for 8 minutes until it thickens slightly.
  2. Remove from heat and add in the chocolate syrup/cocoa powder, to taste.
  3. Add a cup or however much you want of the Irish whiskey and stir well (this makes it pretty strong, but hey, it's St. Patrick's Day [at least it was...]).
  4. Serve and drink.
Man, that Baileys was good. Thank you, Angela, for coming up with that delicious recipe. Okay it's 4:21 in the morning (hi mom!) and I don't think I should post this before going to sleep and looking at it again. But yes! First post. Hope you all enjoy!

-Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment