Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Curried Indian-Style Burritos, Drink on the Side

Cooking is a highly customizable art. It's not like baking, where if you mess one thing up, your entire product comes out deflated or overflowing (I may be speaking from experience). But with cooking, you can't really screw up (except if you misread a recipe and add 2 tablespoons of ginger instead of 2 teaspoons...again, I may be speaking from experience [not a huge fan of ginger]).

I had always heard such grand stories of Kurban family members throwing together a meal minutes before guests arrived with just what they had in the fridge (loljk more like 4 hours in the kitchen the day before). So, attempting to live up to the family name, I tried making a meal with what I had in the pantry. My first attempt ended up being quite successful--a pumpkin enchilada casserole. I was so proud. I had wanted to reach this moment and finally gain my papa's culinary approval--not following a recipe, just 'winging it' (he tends to chastise me when I stick too closely to a recipe).

Anyway, tonight was one of those nights. We were originally gonna go to this delicious-sounding restaurant on Mass Ave called Annapurna, but mom was a little loopy from the painkillers (poor mama!) so my papa and I decided to take over dinner for the night. Now, since our kitchen is always well [over]stocked, it wasn't as much of a challenge as it usually is at school. But, since I made a drink for the both of us before we began (don't worry, recipe for that below), it became more challenging. Just a little.

We started throwing a bunch of things together (well, I did--he was really intent on making brussel sprouts, for some reason). We tried cooking quinoa and TVP (textured vegetable protein--great meat sub) in the same pot--that didn't really work out--we ended up with little quinoa grains in the filling but whatever. And then, the best feeling came over me. The feeling of pure spontaneity. Every time I tasted it, I thought of something new that would go well with it. And every time I announced it, my dad pinched my cheeks and said 'lik ana 7ebbo inti!!!!! ana I love cooking with you!!!' My cheeks were quite sore by the end.

By the time we were done, the original meal (TVP + kidney bean burritos) turned into Curried Indian-Style Burritos (at least that's the name I just came up with right now). They were really good. They even got mom-on-painkillers's approval! (although I feel like that wouldn't be difficult to get...)

As I said, I kind of just threw everything together, but cooking's all about improvising! I shook the spices into the mix so just shake until you find a taste you like (disclaimer: my dad and I love spicy foods).

"It's like a cross between Anna's and Punjab" -what my dad would've said if he knew the names of any restaurants around here


Curried Indian-Style Burritos
Ingredients

  • 2 red onions, chopped
  • 1 c TVP (textured vegetable protein, Bob's Red Mill makes it)
  • 1 c canned pumpkin
  • 1 15oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 c chopped walnuts
  • 1 T mild curry paste (or more, to taste)
  • feel free to add quinoa--that's what we had originally planned to do
  • spices (we used cumin, curry powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper)
  • tortillas, curried salsa
Instructions
  1. Cook TVP according to instructions (if you like, add a bouillon cube to the water)
  2. Cook red onions in a bit of olive oil--once halfway cooked, add TVP, spices, and the curry paste and cook with onions.
  3. Add pumpkin and mix together with TVP and onions. Cook on low heat.
  4. Mix in kidney beans and add more spices to taste. Cook on low heat for a few more minutes.
  5. Start heating up your tortillas on a skillet. Once mixture is done, spoon about 1/4-1/2 c (depending on the size of your tortillas/size you want your burrito) along the middle starting from about a quarter of the way down from the top. Fold it. I was lazy and just kinda messed around until the filling didn't fall out (it did about 5 seconds later).
  6. Mix in some curry paste with the salsa if you want and drizzle onto or dip with burrito.
Now, this would not have been possible without my awesome cocktail-making skills. My dad's golden rule is "One drink an hour, with food," so while he's cooking, he'll usually indulge a bit. But since I/my dad had just painted my nails (see facebook photo) and couldn't open any of the food ingredients we were using, I was in charge of the nightly cocktail. The theme of the night, I was feeling adventurous. Also my dad had a huge Arab party on Friday and all the mixers/alcohol were gone. I had to improvise. So improvise I did. These are all approximations (except for the alcohol), so don't blame me if the drink is too strong or weak.

'Summer in March' Coconut Mojito (serves 2-3)
  • 3oz. Malibu Rum
  • 1oz. lime juice
  • 2.5 T sugar
  • 4oz. lime-flavored seltzer
  1. Pour everything plus ice minus the seltzer into a cocktail shaker. I'm serious, do not put the seltzer in the shaker. It will go everywhere. (I am definitely speaking from experience).
  2. Shake. Add seltzer. Drink. Eat burritos. Be merry. (get it?)

Recovery quote of the day--one of my favorites.
Song of the day--Milk and Honey by Hollie Cook

Okay, time for me to write an essay on Queen Noor. Enjoy the gorgeous day while it lasts!

-Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment