Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Falafel and DIY Wave Earrings

One thing I wanted more than anything today: to be with all the Caligiuris in Buffalo for Easter.

I called all 3 households in Buffalo to wish them a Happy Easter, each time being told what delicious food they were about to bring over to Aunt Ro's, or what was already there. Even my immediate family back in Boston (suburbs of, to clarify) was having an Easter lunch. And to let you know just how much of a special occasion it was: my dad. ate. meat. Red meat. This is a man who will pick the chicken out of chicken soup if that's what we're having for dinner. No, he's not a vegetarian. He just 'doesn't eat meat.' (except he does).

Anyway, to soothe my soul on an already depressing day (let's face it, we all save our work for Sundays. Yes I still have Arabic homework to do), I figured I'd cook, as I usually do when I feel an emotion I don't want to deal with. I almost ordered in, but then my craving changed from Indian food to Middle-Eastern food, so I decided to make falafel. This is a recipe I've made many times--actually my go-to when I'm coming back from a party and am hungry. None of that 'falafel cart' stuff. Anyway, I figured I'd put a little spin on it since I had just bought 3 cans of pumpkin. So, you guessed it, I made baked pumpkin falafel. I got the original recipe from Can You Stay For Dinner?, a blog with great food and photos.

"DUDE LET'S GO TO MAMOUN'S" -majority of Wesleyan students on Saturday nights


Baked Pumpkin Falafel

Ingredients
  • one 15oz. can of chickpeas
  • 3 T flour
  • 2 T pureed pumpkin
  • 2 T parsley, finely chopped (sub 1tsp dried if you don't have fresh)
  • 1 T cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Combine all falafel ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well blended.
  3. Scoop the bean mixture into a bowl, coat hands with flour, and shape into 8 equal-sized patties.
  4. Place onto a greased baking sheet, spray with olive oil spray, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
  5. Accompany with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, tahini, and pita bread if desired.
Note: The falafel will be sticky! They won't be perfectly shaped, but they'll still bake fine.

"no." -my response to the falafel cart suggestion

Why go to the falafel cart when you can make it at home? The texture is better baked anyway, in my opinion.

So good. I'll probably definitely be having the leftovers as a midnight snack.

Anyway, when I was on my DIY kick, I made these earrings, inspired by this tutorial. I was too lazy to do wire-wrapping (read: cannot do wire-wrapping), so I just ended up alternating gold jump rings and beads. I like them though!


They're great with a white dress and gold bangles.

Song of the Day-- When I Fall in Love by the Bill Evans Trio. A beautiful variation on a beautiful song. Fits the 'Sunday night' mood well.
Recovery Quote of the Day-- "He who plants thorns must never expect to gather roses." -Arab proverb

Okay, now I should do work. Gotta read up on my Arabic authors!
-Carina



No comments:

Post a Comment