Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Massaman Curry

Ever have those days where you go to sleep, and it seems like you've only just put your head down on the pillow when it's time to wake up?

Yeah. I had the opposite of that. I went to bed at 9pm last night. Woke up several times and then finally woke up at 7am. Feeling like crap. I had a feeling I was going to get sick--except it was the kind where you know it's coming on but you can't do anything about it. The worst. I got up to take a shower after waking up again at 9:30 and nearly fell over doing so. I started to get ready for my 11am class and actually did fall over doing so. It would've been funny if it had happened to someone else -___-

After a painful shower, Mama and I concluded that I could not go to class; that it would be best for me to just stay in and get some sleep on this dreary day. I couldn't have agreed more, although I would've given anything to be able to keep my head up and swallow without it feeling like a thousand razor blades went down my throat (slight exaggeration).

Anyway, since Sunday morning, my life has been pretty uneventful. Especially since I didn't leave my house today. But let's see...Sunday, I woke up, showered, did work, went to Marshalls, did more uneventful stuff.....and BAM! made massaman curry with Ellen. The perfect end to a great weekend. I love curry, but this was just out of this world. Coconut milk and peanuts? Count me in.



Massaman Curry à la Carina et Ellen


Ingredients

  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk, not shaken
  • 1 T green curry paste
  • 1 T red chili paste
  • 3 Thai chillies, chopped
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1 c peanuts
  • 14oz. package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
  • small package baby portobello mushrooms, sliced (sorry Mama!)
  • salt
Instructions
  1. Chop peanuts in food processor until grainy.
  2. Open can of coconut milk, scoop out coconut cream and fry with pastes and chillies.
  3. Add vegetables and mix/sauté for a few minutes.
  4. Add peanuts and the rest of the coconut milk and some water and let simmer.
  5. Cut tofu into cubes--fry in a bit of oil and let drain on a plate with a paper towel. Add to curry.
  6. Simmer for ~10 minutes and serve.
Simple as that! It's really quite good. I highly recommend making it...it's like everything I want in curry.


Alright, I just popped some advil so I'm gonna try to do some work before crashing. Enjoy!

Song of the Day-- "Excuse" by Big Freedia. A ridiculous song with an even more ridiculous video. I'm addicted. He came to perform at Wes a few weeks ago and it was crazy!
Recovery Link of the Day-- Hahah I love Tina Fey.

Sickly (yes I know that's an adjective),
Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment